Representing ourselves: blog task

1) Read the article and summarise each section in one sentence, starting with the section 'Who are you?'
The section "Who are you?" 2) List five brands you are happy to be associated with and explain how they reflect your sense of identity.

Disney
For me, Disney represents happiness, hope and escape in a way that nothing else does and a promise of a happy ending and that good triumphs over evil. It acknowledges sadness and struggle but there is always a positive outcome so it encourages me that there is always a reason to be hopeful. It was a pivotal aspect of my childhood and therefore it always reminds me of a happy time in my life and allows me to embrace the hope and positivity that life offers.

Jack Wills
Despite substantially high prices, I love Jack Wills clothes and its branding, mainly because it's a British brand and I always like embracing my British identity. It was also established in 1999 which is the year I was born so I find myself identifying with it more than I would have done if I'd been born in a different year. 

The Sims
The part of The Sims that I most enjoy and identify with is the design element of it. Before playing The Sims I had no idea that I had any ability to build/design houses and even though it's a game, I always find myself creating homes that I myself would love to live in and therefore I discovered a love/talent for interior design that I never knew existed.

Harry Potter
Harry Potter has always been a favourite brand of mine and I'm always happy to associate myself with it. I've always found myself identifying with Hermione and from a young age, always wanted to go to boarding school so to combine magic with boarding school just completely fit my personality and I think over the years it's become part of who I am.

Kate Nash
Kate Nash is a singer who my dad introduced me to when I was about 7/8 and although not all her songs were age appropriate, the ones that were I just immediately fell in love with. My dad always used to play them for me on long car journeys and put them on my first iPod when I was about 10 and I've essentially grown up listening to her and gradually realising what her songs meant as I got older and I've never found any other artists quite like her. I often find myself/my situations reflected in her lyrics and I just feel like her music has now become an ingrained part of my identity. Her branding is 'aliens' and the idea of embracing your differences/flaws which, along with the messages in her songs I find further solace in. Her social media pages reflect this branding and I constantly find myself feeling empowered to portray myself as honestly as I can on social media so that it reflects my true identity and I credit no one but Kate Nash for that.


3) Do you agree with the view that modern media is all about 'style over substance'? What does this expression mean?

4) Explain Baudrillard's theory of 'media saturation' in one paragraph. You may need to research it online to find out more.

5) Is your presence on social media an accurate reflection of who you are? Have you ever added or removed a picture from a social media site purely because of what it says about the type of person you are?

6) What is your opinion on 'data mining'? Are you happy for companies to sell you products based on your social media presence and online search terms? Is this an invasion of privacy?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Identities: Introduction to Feminism

Identities: Applying Feminism factsheet

Identities: Identity & Film blog task